Saturday, January 22, 2005

Craft -v-Fad

Yesterday I went to see the Rover Thomas exhibition entitled 'I want to paint' in the Art Gallery. He is one of those painters of extremely simplistic looking works that somehow strike a chord in your heart and soul. Just lovely.

But the title set me thinking about the discussion on Sharonb's blog, Inaminuteago, about whether craft is a fad or a long term thing. I think like Rover Thomas that I want to craft. I have been embroidering, sewing, knitting since I was very small, that is for over 50 years now. During that time I have seen lots of fad crafts come and go, rather like the current knitting craze which I see as a fad craft, although knitting is not. If I see one more scarf knitted in Feathers yarn I think I might have a hissy fit right in the middle of the street So I divide craft into fads and crafts that border and very often teeter over into art in some totally unexplained way. It does not help that art galleries generally are very unwilling to feature women's crafts, although somehow such work becomes 'respectable' when exhibited by a man! This, of course, is crass generalisation, but I really think it is a common event.

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Mary-Frances said...

I really must write a blog entry about this, but I agree with you. I am more of an art student turned crafter, so maybe I got sucked into the "fad" part of it, but I find myself crazy quilting and NOT scrapbooking or knitting.
I think there are always "current fads" in any hobby area....my mother in law (who's knitted for years) just laughs at how simple a lot of the current knitting projects are, so I expect a lot of those folks will quit when they have to make something hard! :-)

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Debra said...

I enjoy reading your blogs... but really they are such a piece of work to read. Would it be possible to enlarge the size of your font to make it easier to read?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home