Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ring pillow

I spent a large part of today crazy patching a ring pillow. Why a ring pillow? Who is getting married I hear you say? Well, no-one, but I was looking for some fabric and realised I had quite a few creams and white fancy fabrics. I have said I will put some things in this little Art Gallery in Fremantle and thus I am making quick and easy small things that may sell, when I have a little more time I will be able to be more adventurous. The adventurous bit definitely comes after Christmas, I am in panic mode right now!

Next comes the dilemma, do I embellish this piece as much as I would normally, hand work is time consuming and I am unlikely to be able to price high enough to sell. It really bugs me that when I sell my work I make less than any unskilled labourer, but I would welcome a little extra cash and don't want to clutter my house any more with unsold craft objects. Excuse me while I go out into the garden and scream - it may solve the problem (know that it won't VBG)

2 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

It is a real catch22 isn't it... My sister is a potter and does lovely pieces... Same thing... In her case she says how can she compete with cheaper imports - but she loves what she does and keeps on going.. She also work in a craft gallery... Many a time she hears customers as they look at the range say "but it is all SO expensive"... She says she can spot a non craft person at 20 paces - as quite a lot of them aee heard to say just that. Lots of people want that special thing - but few are willing to pay the price of it... Your ring pillow looks lovely - the colours so do compliment each other...

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Julia said...

Maureen,
I'm with you on this one.
people just do not appreciate the time it takes.
You are lucky to get $2 an hour some times for all the work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home